Positioning System Data Analyst
At InnovaSea, our core purpose is to create the possibility for sustainable use of our ocean and freshwater ecosystems. Doing this effectively will require deep knowledge of how these ecosystems function, and our VEMCO product line of acoustic tag and receiver systems is the number one choice for researchers worldwide who need to understand the lives of fish and other aquatic animals and their ecosystems.
We are not satisfied with incremental improvements. Our vision is to drive a revolutionary leap forward in the understanding of our ocean and freshwater ecosystems through the development of innovative new technologies. Our company and our industry are growing and this is an exciting time to get involved! You can learn more about us at vemco.com, and check out our Twitter feed @vemcoteam.
We have an opening in our VEMCO Positioning System (VPS) group for a Positioning System Data Analyst with practical experience using R. VPS is a data processing service that allows researchers to track fish and other aquatic animals with up to sub-metre precision, and is used worldwide as the basis of a growing body of research.
This is a highly technical and customer-focused position that involves:
- Consulting with Sales and customers to help them design, deploy and operate their system
- Analyzing the data collected from the system, resolving errors, inconsistencies and omissions
- Processing the data using in-house R-based tools
- Communicating results to customers and assisting them with their interpretation
The following are requirements for this position:
- Master’s degree in a science, math or engineering related field
- Strength in applied mathematics and statistical modelling
- Practical experience using R for data analysis
- Ability to analyze large amounts of temporal and spatial data and turn it into useful information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational and time-management skills, meticulous attention to detail
- A passion for and track record of continuous learning to keep current with data science technologies
Assets for this position include experience with:
- R Shiny
- R Packaging
- Data visualization
- Theory behind positioning systems
- Underwater acoustics
- Deployment of underwater equipment and/or instrumentation
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Marine biology
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please summarize how your previous experience meets the stated requirements and assets for this position.
VEMCO offers an attractive total compensation package to the selected candidate. We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.